1.25" Mini LED Fuel Fluorescence Detector Probe (FFD)
Rapid Site Characterization
Vertek's downhole LED Fuel Fluorescence Detector (FFD) measures fluorescence produced by aromatic hydrocarbons when excited by ultraviolet (UV) light. Pushed with Vertek's Cone Penetrometer Technology (CPT) equipment, the FFD significantly reduces the time required to detect and delineate the extent of hydrocarbon fuel spills or leaking storage tanks.
Mini FFD Features
- Mini FFD uses any Datapack 2010 Series VTK DataPack
- No need to thermally stabilize the light source, which can take up to 30 minutes with conventional UV lamps
- Licensed and patented Sapphire Window technology for maximum window life and high transmissivity of UV light
- Dual filtered detectors (see chart below) sense the full range of light to heavy fuel types (aromatic hydrocarbons)
- LED is pulsed at 10 Hz, providing a resolution of 0.2 cm at a push rate of 2 cm per second
FFD Filters Cover Fuel Range
Vertek's Oil Detector Probe provides a continuous, real-time output of fluorescence and reflectance over the entire depth of a subsurface sounding. Non-fluorescing oils are detected as a decrease in reflectance compared to clean sand. Fluorescent oils (i.e. dispersed oils) are detected as an increase on the fluorescence channel which is optically filtered to select the characteristic orange "glow" from dispersed crude oil. The two detections can be viewed graphically in real-time with Vertek’s Data Acquisition System (DAS) as the probe is advanced, providing a more complete characterization of the oil layers vs. depth than other methods.
|UV Light Source:||10 Hz Pulsed LED|
|Excitation Wavelength:||351 nm|
|Housing:||Hardened Steel with Durable Coating|
|Optical Window:||Replaceable Sapphire|
|Power:||12 VDC, 1 A, 12 W|
|Dual Outputs:||Fluorescent Oil (orange fluorescence) and Non-fluorescent Oil (reduced reflectance)|
(min. oil layer resolution)
|<2mm at 20mm/sec push rate|
Typical fluorescence results from soundings conducted through a hydrocarbon layer.