Rapid Site Characterization - Vertek’s downhole Hammerable Fuel Fluorescence Detector (FFD) measures fluorescence produced by aromatic hydrocarbons when excited by ultraviolet (UV) light. The Hammerable FFD significantly reduces the time required to detect and delineate the extent of hydrocarbon fuel spills or leaking storage tanks.
- FFD uses standard Vertek Geotechnical & Environmental cables, and any VTK Series 2010 DataPack.
- No need to thermally stabilize the light source, which can take up to 30 minutes with conventional UV lamps.
- Licensed and patented Sapphire Window technology for maximum window life and high transmissivity of UV light.
- Dual filtered detectors (see chart below) sense the full range of light to heavy fuel types (aromatic hydrocarbons).
- LED is pulsed at 10 Hz, providing a resolution of 0.2 cm at a push rate of 2 cm per second.
FFD Filters Cover Fuel Range
Hammerable - For Use with Percussion & Direct Push Systems
This innovative technology produces savings at each step in the site characterization process. The delivery system generates minimal investigation- derived waste, reducing containment and disposal costs. Additional savings are realized due to a reduction in time required to complete the investigation.
Vertek’s FFD provides a continuous, real-time output of fluorescence over the entire depth of the sounding. This information can be viewed graphically in real-time with Vertek’s Geotechnical & Environmental Data Acquisition System (DAS) that supports both our Hammerable Probes and well as our conventional CPT cones and modules. As the probe is advanced, it provides a more complete characterization of the plume’s extent than traditional discrete sampling techniques.
Typical FFD results from three colinear soundings conducted across a hydrocarbon contaminant plume. (source: HANDEX Corp.) The data from each of the investigations shown were presented to the customer within 15 minutes
- UV Light Source: 10 Hz Pulsed LED
- Excitation Wave length: 254nm (+/- 2nm)
- Housing: 2nm) Hardened Steel with Durable Coating
- Optical Window: Replaceable Sapphire
- Detection Limit: (Fuel & Soil Dependent)
- Power: 12 VDC, 1 A, 12 W
- Dual Detector Outputs: Light (LFFD) & Heavy Fuels (HFFD)
- Optional Filter Wave lengths: Per Customer Specification